You've heard about spaghetti squash. Some miracle substitution for pasta that magically turns into spaghetti in the oven??
It's not magic. It's not a miracle. But it is tasty and a vegetable, so I'm here to teach you how to cook it.
Tip: You will need a very sharp, sturdy knife.
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- ~3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cut both ends off the squash. Cut in half lengthwise (aka hot dog-style).
3. Scoop the insides of the squash out with a spoon. This part feels similar to carving a pumpkin. Stop when you get the seeds and the stringy parts out. The smooth insides will become spaghetti in the roasting process.
4. Rub each half of the cleaned squash with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. On a baking sheet, flip the squash face down, rind up.
6. Roast for about 35-50 minutes. Check for doneness by poking the spaghetti flesh with a fork. Remove when tender.
Tip: if you will be cooking the squash again, such as sautéing with other ingredients, shoot for 35-40 minutes of cooking, so the noodles do not get mushy.
7. Gently shred the squash into spaghetti using a fork.
Now that you're a spaghetti squash expert, it's time you make Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Spaghetti Squash!